From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:58:59 -0500
I support Steven Allison-Bunnell's recommendations but would also add my own
conservative note that in addition to a video camera I would also like to
have a separate audio recording. There are numerous good digital formats
available including a new digital Marantz and a whole bunch of mini-disk
machines.

I would also like to suggest a possible alternative to buying a DVCam. Oral
history recordings with a single camera are notoriously boring and can only
be tolerated by most folks as edited snippets in a larger work. I would
therefore suggest that if there is a three-camera public access studio or a
three-camera high school studio available in your community that you try to
gain access to those facilities. Using these existing facilities would
preclude the necessity of buying equipment and could render a superior
product. An added advantage to using these facilities is that your museum
might more easily find the volunteer personnel to run the equipment. A
three-camera in-house setup with necessary lights and editing equipment is a
major commitment.
nburlakoff