From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:59:52 -0400
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Has anyone used such on-line material as first-hand accounts in exhibits?
> I'd be inclined to think the material is copyrighted by the web page, but is
> there any argument to be made that the individuals, by submitting these
> stories to such a "public" space, are in fact making their stories public
> domain?

Just because the space is public, doesn't negate the copyright. It
probably belongs to the website itself or the owners.

That being said, why can't you create your own site and collect your
own stories? It's not hard to do and relatively inexpensive. You could
even ask people to submit videos of themselves with their old toys or
submit videos of themselves as kids playing with the toys, if they
still have them. If you find a story particularly compelling, you
could always do a follow-up by asking people to submit contact
information (that's hidden from public view of course). Even if you
didn't use the info in the exhibit itself, it would be neat to include
on your website or use as part of an online exhibit/catalog.

As far as exaggerating goes, I find it hard to see how someone could
boast or exaggerate about an Easy-Bake Oven, a Mr. Potatohead, or
Tinker Toys. Maybe people do but reminiscing about old toys is fun in
and of itself so I don't see the need to embellish those stories.

Deb Fuller