From:
Nancy McCartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 14:33:52 CST
Yes, the Vermeer show is suitable for children of all ages--I even
took my 14 year old, much against his better judgment, of course.
But the pix are lovely and glow like little jewels. Lots of
maps and also maybe Anton van Leevenhoek pictured there. Most
Vermeers are quite small, so tall children are necessary--unless you
want to lift them up physically.  I went the day after Thanksgiving
and there were huge lines, but certainly I thought it was worth it.
Also, there is a Winslow Homer show at the National Gallery, and
Whistler at the Freer.  Homer was packed again, but Freer was
blessedly quiet and tranquil. Homers were generally
larger, so could be viewed from across the room, if absolutely
necessary, if you didn't want to elbow thousands of people out of the
way.  I shall remember these bits of beauty out here in the
hinterlands for a long time.

Nancy Glover McCartney
University of Arkansas
Museum