From:
Perian Sully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:28:02 -0800
Hi Laney:

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the direct papers about increased or negligible attendance changes from having collections online, though I can relate just how thoroughly that concept was booed during the closing question/answer session (yes, literally booed) at the Museums and the Web Conference last year. Many of the MW papers online do deal with this topic somewhat, but I'm not sure if there have been direct quantitative studies about attendance and web presence.

But here are some of the major points about having collections online:
1) many public and private grants are either targeted towards getting collections online or require increased public access through digital means.
2) there has been no issue about decreased attendance
3) in some respects, not having online collections makes the institution publically irrelevant (since researchers and the general public won't be as interested in the institution)
4) A digital object, or a physical replica, will *never* have the same qualitative "aura" as the original. In fact, digital representations increase the likelihood that someone will want to see the real thing.

This last point is the most important, I think.

For some related reading, I recommend the following:

L.A. Art Online report on digitization and access: http://www.getty.edu/grants/pdfs/LA_Art_Online_Report.pdf
"'Less Clicking, More Watching'. Results from the User-Centered Design of a Multi-Institutional Web Site for Art and Culture", 2001: http://www.archimuse.com/mw2001/papers/vergo/vergo.html

Good luck!

Perian Sully
Collection Information and New Media Coordinator
Judah L. Magnes Museum