From:
Elyse Thorson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:11:25 -0500
I have watched the copyright debate the last few weeks with some interest.
 Copyright can be a highly technical subject area as the "rules" are
different dependent upon the creation date of the work which dictates which
statute applies.

Also one must be able to analyze "fair use" and other issues. For someone new
to legal issues faced by museums I would recommend the following books:

Beauty and the Beasts (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1983)
Rethinking the Museum (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1990)

Both were authored by Stephen Weil who was at the Hirshhorn last I knew.

The latter has a specific essay entitled "Legal Aspects on the Display of
Imitations."

I am sure many of you may have seen these works and they are aimed at museum
personnel.  Weil has also authored a treatise on Art Law.

If anyone has other suggestions about relevant reading material on these
subjects, I would be interested in seeing them.