From:
Katie Edlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 08:28:17 -0700
Scanners may be used to get the nuances of handwriting, typewriter fonts, etc.
and stored in databases as a file.  By all means keep the written records, but
being able to query a database I imagine is much easier (once learned) than
going through a hundred years worth or records when you are trying to find
something.
If someone were to rid themselves of all the paper documents, be sure to keep
several backups of information (some off site)  in case the computer crashes or
any other unforeseen mishap.

Katie Edlebeck
Deer Valley Rock Art Center
Arizona State University