From:
Susan Funk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:13:13 -0500
I am another lurker moved to comment by the recent MuseumL turmoil.  Museum
List has often been a useful tool for me, both for information that applies
to my specific responsibilities and for a broader view of current issues
and concerns in the field.  I use it like a newspaper or magazine--when
time allows I browse fairly thoroughly, otherwise I do a quick skim for the
most relevant information.

  The recent infighting has been disturbing, with venom evident on all
sides.  I will be very disappointed if the list splits off into 15
specialized subgroups.  I will also be disappointed if people feel
constrained to make only positive, supportive entries, as a robust
discussion is far more useful--though tact and respect are always
appreciated.

Thanks to all those who contribute thoughtful and informative postings.  I
sincerely hope that you will continue to participate on MuseumL, rather
than splitting off into sublists.

Susan Funk
Vice President for Education and Public Programs
MYSTIC SEAPORT
The Museum of America and the Sea
http://www.mysticseaport.org