From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:45:50 -0400
It is, of course, impossible to place a monetary value on any human being
much less that person's work.

Unless one is with a federal, state, or sometimes municipal museum (where
salary scales tend to be set based on compensation in other govt. functions)
I believe it's difficult to make a decent living in the museum field except
at the senior levels.  And at those levels, it's hard to determine when
one's workday ends, and "personal" time actually starts.

(I remember a state personnel analyst objecting to my thought that a degreed
professional historical interpreter ought to be paid more than a toll taker
on the turnpike.  But there is so much more stress taking tolls, he replied.
Try it sometime, he added.)  It took a couple of years to win that battle.