From:
Anne Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:18:40 -0700
Patricia,

First, purchase "Steal this Handbook" from the Southeastern Registrars
Assocation.  (Okay, steal it if you have to!)

Second, talk to your Campus Police Department.  Your university
undoubtedly already has an emergency plan in place; you need a copy so
that whatever plan you create dovetails with that of the university.  You
also need to know ahead of time who will be in charge in a major disaster
-- here at UNC-CH, Campus Police will designate an Incident Commander who
is in charge.  We can have our own response coordinator but the Incident
Commander will run the show.

Third, talk to your local fire and/or police departments to learn what
role they will play in a disaster.

Fourth, involve as many of your coworkers as possible in the creation of
your plan -- they will all have good ideas and may imagine scenarios you
never thought of.

Fifth, don't hesitate to get involved with other departments on campus.
We have standing (written) agreements with several other units that will
allow us to temporarily house our collection in nearby buildings if the
Museum is unsafe.

Finally, remember that a disaster plan is always a work in progress.  Good
luck!  Anne Douglas.

Anne Fuhrman Douglas                         email: [log in to unmask]
Registrar                                    phone: 919-966-5736
Ackland Art Museum                           fax:   919-966-1400
The University of North Carolina
Campus Box 3400
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3400
U.S.A.