From:
Maria Pascualy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 17:33:29 +0000
This is reflected in the way many museums have adopted corporate language and analysis in their every day operations. I've been in the field a while and it was once highly unusual for a director to call himself a CEO but now it is commonplace. What happens when we refer to  visitors as clients or consumers?  Using the language of advertising/corporate culture changes museums  and not always for the better.

From: Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
> The Washington Post has a good story on the resignation of Gary Beer, the head
> Smithsonian Business Ventures. After reading it, all I can say is i want to work
> for a quasi-government entity where the head of retail operations can earn more
> than the President of the United States when you count salary, bonuses and
> awards. I am glad to see the GAO is looking in the closets and under the rugs to
> find where there may be problems. I am sure they are all very fine wonderful
> people who love Mom and puppies, but something needs to change there.
>

>   Here is the link to the story:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/16/AR2007051601964.
> html?hpid=topnews
>
>   Opinions my own, laced with sarcasm, but not meant to offend.

> Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news,
> photos & more.

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ .
> You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message

Museum-L" (without the quotes).