From:
Dominique Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:13:26 +0100
I agree That the list is not an appropriate place for this discussion,
and I will make this answer short.  I had passed on this document
because hearing President Bush speeches worries me.  The
museum community is supposed to thrive on objectivity and
perhaps we can spread this objectivity.  The person who rather
roughly questioned the origin of the document missed the point, I
had deleted the person who had sent it to me as he is not involved
in the museum world; he is a friend I have known for 25 years, he is
an Indian citizen (religion Parsi). I do not know who Pete is and
does it really matter?  Even if this letter was the fruit of somebody's
imagination it still moved me to tears.  I spent some time in
Afghanistan before the Russian invasion and loved and admired its
people for their tolerance (by the way I am Jewish).  I had a stop
over in Kabul in 1981 during the Russian occupation and could not
recognize anything, it was already rubble then.  I do not believe
that any reconstruction has taken place since then...And as 'being
in the UK' does this mean that I do not understand about terrorism?
Bombs have been one of the foremost concern of museums in the
uk for a while (30 years?) and having your bag systematically
searched when going to museums is part of life, as is alerting the
Police as soon as you see an unattended package or walking on
the other side of the pavement near army recruiting offices or not
giving your address or the one of your institution on an open forum
to not figure on anybody's black list. I will not mention where the
money feeding our local terrorists has mostly come from, This is
already much too long and i will be happy to discuss the topic at
length off the list with anybody who wants to.
My name is Dominique Rogers I am an objects conservator I have
been a rather quiet member of this list for I think around 3 years. I
live in England. and ... I am afraid...