From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:44:27 EST
Eric...I understand your dilemna as to the correct course of action
for students, and even career changers. I have been confronting these
issues for many years as museum careercounseling fell into my lap. In fact,
without making a plug(I hope it is taken this way) for the book I have
researched for the past three years and recently completed on PLANNING
MUSEUM CAREERS  covers most of the issues you and others have raised.
The current generation of museum job seekers want specific information
and assistance, and fewer are "entering through the back door." We
formally interviewed almost one hundred museum professionals throughout
the U.S. and abroad, and informally discussed careers with hundreds
more. There is no ONE route into the museum field, but the career-seekers
need much more information about the work that exists in museums, the
requirements, and the options. The route you took with an MBA in arts
administrationwas unheard of 30 years ago, but has become a very valid option
today for those interested in museum management...and with a discipline
background, you too may become a museum director!  Thanks for your response.

Jane