From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:21:55 -0700
Since the subject of Second Life has come up again, I
thought you might find this item of interest.

Have a good Labor Day weekend, all, whether real time
or virtual.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI

Tygodnik Powszechny 26.08.2007 (Poland)

The new edition of the liberal-Catholic weekly is
dedicated to Second Life. Recently the Jesuit magazine
"La Civilita Cattolica" called for the evangelisation
of virtual reality and now Tygodnik Powszechny has
opened new offices in Second Life. "This is more than
just a game," writes Michal Kuzminski (and his avatar
Kuzmin Thorne). "Paradoxically, emotions are real in
the virtual world: the feeling of triumph, of failure,
of the joy of discovery, gratitude and happiness at
having met another person. The difference is that when
something goes wrong, you can press 'exit' at any time
and start a new life, without consequences. The danger
is that it doesn't show how to cope with problems, but
only how to escape them," Kuzminski cites a scientist
as writing.

"It's only a game," Jozef Kloch, the man responsible
for the Internet presence of the Catholic Church in
Poland, counters in an interview. "Our real life is no
game – we encounter real problems, real people, we
have to feed a real family by really working. We don't
get our daily bread with Linden dollars." But this man
of God emphasises the importance of keeping the worlds
apart: praying via Skpe - yes - but going to Mass in
"Second Life" – never! "A Jesus avatar would be
nothing but a false idol. No Christian could opt to
shut themselves off from the outside world at the
computer."

Got a little couch potato?