From:
Kate Stanton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:19:00 +1000
I am a new subscriber to the list, and I'm really glad I found such a
valuable source of information!

I am in the last year of a Master of Public Administration degree at
the University of Tasmania, and my major research project concerns
maximising the effectiveness of performance indicators (PIs) in the public
sector (as opposed to just looking at PIs which measure
effectiveness).  I am looking in detail at the strategic planning processes
and policy dynamics of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, as well
as a program in a state government department as a contrast.  I have
already done a search of museum journals and found some good articles on the
subject, but I am interested in some 'real-life' experiences of
museums and galleries in setting up their strategic plans and designing effective
 PIs, as well as how they handle dealings with government bodies who fund
them, and (thus) expect some say in the strategic process.
I've had a look at the Smithsonian's strategy on its WWW site and
found it very useful.

Thanks in advance!

Kate

Kate Stanton
EMail: [log in to unmask]
Senior Auditor
Tasmanian Audit Office
Tel: +61 (0)3 62 33 3704
Fax: +61 (0)3 62 33 2957

Tasmanian Audit Office's World Wide Web Address:
http://www.audit.tas.gov.au