From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:37:26 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] says:

>We have in our collection leather bridles, halters, reins, saddles,
>saddlebags and so forth that have a white "bloom," which I'm assuming is
>mold. It wipes clean, and I've used basic saddle soap which also removes
>the film. The items are stored in a climate controlled HVAC building, but
>I'm wondering if there isn't enough air circulation. Has anyone else had
>this problem?

It is called "organic spew" and is caused by a combination of the saddle
soap and environmental conditions.  (I learned all this from a conser-
vator, so I may not get everything exactly right, but close enough.)
If you soap your leather stuff, it works into the leather.  So far, so
good.  However, if you are not working with the leather object, riding on
the saddles, handling the reins and harnesses, that stuff soaked into the
leather does not get rubbed off by your pants or hands.  When it works
its way to the surface, it "blooms" as it is exposed to the air.  (There is
a correlation between the rh and this bloom, but I forget what it is.)

Anyway, to get rid of it, you must throw away your saddle soap and continue
to rub the leather objects as the bloom reappears.  Eventually (in about
20 years or so, depending upon how much soap you have used) the stuff will
work its way out of the leather goods and you will be "spew-free".  If you
look at your saddles or bags in a good light, you will notice that they
appear to be oil stained.  The only thing that will take care of this
condition is time, a good environment, and occasional rubbing.

THROW AWAY YOUR SADDLE SOAP!

Hope the conservators don't flame you too badly.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
South Dakota State Historical Society, Pierre