From:
Diane Goldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:42:25 -0400
You have a point, Tracie, but I don't anticipate a change--at least in the government format--for the wide range of pay ranges and the array of job classifications.

I've been told that starting pay is usually in the bottom third of a pay range.
So I calculate 1/3 up from the bottom to get the "real" pay.

That's not the only question, though.  There are two related questions:  when you'd be eligible for a pay increase; and whether the job's eligible for advancement to a different grade.

--Diane
Diane Goldman
Maryland

---------
. . . include the scale associated with that paygrade  Also, an entire range for a
pay classification can be really misleading.  What is the actual expected
starting range?  Government jobs ALWAYS know where they plan to and can
afford to start. It is often not negotiable at all.