From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:16:09 -0700
My understanding is that this is explicit to a constitutional guarantee of
freedom of the pulpit (freedom of speech / freedom of religion) which I
expect might not be implied to extend to include other kinds of
not-for-profits.

Much as museums often resemble churches in governance issues, interpretive
roles, volunteer involvement, and public expectation of credibility.... the
tax structure under which we operate is fundamentally a form of government
financial support. In fact, I believe that churches are considered tax
exempt whether or not they have filed for a 501(c)(3) (per our County
property tax office).

Lucy Sperlin
Chico, CA