From:
Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:21:36 -0500
I've tried and tried not to respond to this thread, but I finally have to put in my 2 cents.
I think all of us know that the museum field is not the best paying field in the world, and we all (should) have known that going into our degrees - in fact when young people ask me, I warn them "If you can be happy doing anything else do it -- the hours are long, the demands and stress are great and the pay is poor, but the non-monetary rewards a terrific if that's what you are looking for."

I am a museum educator, low man on the pay totem pole.  I have lived in single rooms in historic houses that I have worked for and even payed rent.  I have lived with many people in a single house. I have worked caning chairs and catering at night.  I have lived in less than desirable areas of cities.  After 16 years my pay is still less than it should be.  I have friends who make long commutes.  But I have extreme job happiness - one light bulb going on over a kid's head makes my day!

To be honest, I'm tired of the complaining.  We all know that museums have no money so they aren't going to pay well.  Each of us is in control of our own destinies - if you wanted a cushy life style you shouldn't have made the choice you did!  You either want to work in a museum badly enough or you need to get a computer science degree and make mega bucks!

Kathrine Walker Schlageck