From:
Philippa Tinsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:52:10 +0100
On a positive note about working in the UK, we recently hosted an intern
(six months) from Canada under a program administered by the Canadian
Museums Association and funded by the Canadian Department of Foreign
Affairs.  I know the CMA has several other internships in the UK set up or
in the planning stages if anyone wants to apply.  It's only six months
rather than a lifetime in the UK, but it's still an interesting experience.

For us as a medium-sized museum outside of glamorous London, making those
international connections is a valuable experience for us too.  If there are
more programs of this type around in the future we will work hard to get
more internships available.  Volunteers and student placements, too.  We
currently have a Leicester museum studies course graduate from Canada who is
working on a short contract with our Marketing Officer under the terms of
her student visa.

Incidentally, I did MY graduate museum studies program in the US.  My
student visa demanded a lot and prohibited a lot and the experience was
expensive.  But it was worth every penny.  I had 18 months enjoying a
different way of life and work and I made wonderful friendships with
colleagues who now have great careers in US museums (hi to any of you who
are reading this!).  It added to what I have to offer employers when I
returned to work here in the UK.  I would recommend the opportunity to study
abroad to anyone.

Philippa Tinsley
Collections Manager, Wolverhampton Art Gallery, UK