From:
Ruth EJ James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:06:35 -0500
At 12:28 PM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

Hank's now infamous statement:

>> <<  followed Harry Needham(?)'s suggestion visit the Canadian War Museum
>>  site  and found that I could not get past the initial welcome and so forth
>>  without "becoming a member." This involves no money but requires you
>>  to fill out a long questionnaire giving one's age, education, income, mail
>>  address, phone numbers, household income and I don't know what-all.
>>
>>  I just signed off, but I was quite irritated by such presumptive
>>  intrusiveness.

Jeanine's response:

>> This is known as marketing research, to label it 'nosiness' and to assign
>> this action to a people of another country is inexperienced at best and
>> impertinent at worse.
>>
>> Jeanine M. Prickett
>> Consultant - Prospect Research and Development
>> St. Louis, MO

With Hank's snappy rejoiner:

>   Sorry. I should have said "snoopiness" instead of "nosiness." I see
>from your signature that you are a *professional* snoop.

Matthew adds:

>While I am not sure I would have used Hank's tone or language, I think he
>brings up a good point in his way.  How many visitors _are_ turned off by
>such questioning techniques, is a legitimate question to ask when
>employing such methods.

<snip>

>If a museum sets up "maketing research" or "visitor
>study" either in person or virtually, it does turn people off, especially
>if they feel they have no choice as Hank apparently did.  The plethora of
>intrusions into our email boxes, telephones, faxes, and front doors have
>made most of the Americans I know deeply defensive of their privacy, and
>museums need to keep that in mind when employing such research methods.

>Matthew A. White
>Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
>Baltimore Museum of Industry
>1415 Key Highway
>Baltimore, MD 21230
>(410)727-4808

Ok ... ok ...

For all of those who are offended by various forms of
marketing/research/development, what kinds of methods might you find 'user
friendly'? As a membership/development person myself, I'm always looking for
ways to appeal to the public ... ways that will get my mailings read,
interviews listened to, etc.etc. etc.

When you, as individuals (take off your museum hats), are approached in
regards to giving to a non-profit organization, what methods are likely to
not only arouse but sustain your curiousity? What makes you decide to
consider upping your level of contribution?

I know other membership/development people on this list would enjoy some
constructive comments as well.

Thank you-

Ruth EJ James
Membership Development Coordinator