From:
JENNIFER LAPORTE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:08:34 -0800
Hello. I am a graduate student in the Museum Studies Program at San
Francisco State Univ. and am conducting research for my thesis which
examines museum websites. I have written a ten question survey designed to
be completed by museum professionals from museums with a website. When
responding please include the name of your organization. I appreciate your
input. Thank you in advance-- Jennifer La Porte

Send responses to: [log in to unmask]

1. When did the museum first start working on the development of the
website (mo/yr)?        When did the website go on-line? (mo/yr)

2. What was the vision for the website?
_general information            _access to collections
_educational outreach           _membership
_museum store                   _marketing      _other

3.Who contributed to the development of the website (titles only)?

4.How is the website maintained and updated?
_museum staff person    _volunteer      _offsite company        -other

5.What features are included on the museum website?
_reference services     _research       _virtual exhibit/tour
_images from the collections            _educ. materials
_membership info.                       _general info.
_museum store           _links to other sites   _programs/exhibits
_other

6. How many people have visited the website in the last calendar year?
If the website has been operating for less than a year, how many visited
the website during the month of January 1998?

7. Are museum visitors aware of the museum website?

8. If you could give one recommendation to a museum that is considering
developing a website, what would it be?

9. For museums in California only.
Are you aware of Governor Pete Wilson Digital High School Initiative?
If "yes," has the Digital High School initiative had an impact upon your
museum's website, or future plans for the website?

10. For museums outside of California.
Are you aware of any state government bills that encourage collaboration
between museums and high schools, elementary schools, or universities?
If "yes," have those initiatives had an impact upon your museum's website?

Thank you for you time.