From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:25:58 -0800
Original query:
>I am developing four interactive rooms around a collection of decorative
>arts, sculpture, manuscripts, paintings, and photographs. I would like to
>hear your experiences with this kind of space, particularly with an
>art/humanities focus, and to visit the best ones out there.

A response:
>Over at the Tate Gallery in Liverpool they have done a number of very
>interesting short term hands-on Open Studios, in connecton with specific
>contemporary shows, attempting to address more than the formalism of our
>perceptual approach and raise issues as well. . .>Where artists' materials
>can be provided for visitors to try out, they offer
>maybe the most appropriate of all approaches to traditional fine and
>decorative art properties.

This response reminded me of a remarkable gallery at the Musee National
d'Art Moderne - aka the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris.  Off the main
floor of the museum there is a space just for children age 6 - 12 that goes
by the name "Atelier des Enfants".  In my fractured french understanding
this is "Art studio of the Children".  When I was there in June last year
they had programs complementary to the Brancusi exhibition that was
currently showing on the main floor.  The children could use various files
to work marble, wood and metal. They could also pile geometical blocks to
make totem like structures resembling Brancusi's compositions.  There were
other activities as well - what was impressive was that the programs were
both engaging for the children and very closely linked to the creative
themes and aesthetics of the art.  They rotate themes and serve both school
classes and family visitors.
For another example of their approach, I just checked their WEB page and
they list for Fall a program in the Atelier, "Tableaux Vivant avec Gloria
Friedman."  The web adress is http://www.cnac-gp.fr/automne/gloria.html
It's in French but no doubt there is some fluent staff at the Getty who can
translate for you.  Hope this is the sort of thing you are looking for.  I
spoke with the staff there and gathered a sampling of their brochures and
could send you copies if you'd like.

Claire Pillsbury
Exhibit Developer
Tech Museum of Innovation; San Jose, CA 95113
PH 408-279-7136,        FAX 408-279-7197