From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:04:28 -0700
I think there may be a misunderstanding of the role of science, a
confusion between science and philosophy.  Science's role is strictly to
attempt to explain the natural universe in naturalistic terms, in terms
not invoking the supernatural.  Asking it to integrate the supernatural
is like asking a penknife to do the work of a computer, and asking
religion to explain the universe entirely in naturalist terms is like
asking a computer to do the work of a penknife.  These are tools
designed for different purposes, and attempting to infuse one with the
other pretty much destroys their functions.  Admittedly, the flexibility
of religion is much greater than that of science, in that religion can
hold that God created the natural universe by creating natural laws
which are then followed without further intervention (and many
mainstream religions do essentially this, though usually with the direct
intervention of God involving mankind in some way).

In a sense, asking a scientific journal to accept a paper that doesn't
follow the methodogy of science is much like expecting the Bible to add
a parenthetical comment regarding the sun standing still: "(of course,
the sun really didn't stand still because that isn't in accord with what
we know of the natural universe)".  Different disciplines, different
acceptances of what's allowable.

It's the job of philosophy (used in a very broad sense) to investigate
the roles of science, religion, ethics, and the like, in the human
context.  Each person formulates (under various influences) their own
personal philosophy:  entirely naturalistic, entirely religious (in the
sense of supernatural), or, as with most people, a mixture of the two.
Those who claim to deny the supernatural  on the basis of science are
merely expressing their personal philosophy (perhaps strongly influenced
by the naturalistic nature of science) just as those that claim the
Creator is involved in every aspect of everyday life are expressing
their personal philosophy (perhaps strongly influenced by the Bible
and/or religious teachers).

There are two strongly different worldviews at work where there is
conflict between science and some versions of religion--in one, that the
final authority in determining truth is observation of the natural
world; in the other, that the final authority is Authority (i.e., the
Bible, the Koran, etc.).  Most people are content with some position
within the continuum between the two.  Those toward opposite ends of the
spectrum are fated to engage in battle.

--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915