From:
France Cliche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:48:14 -0400
Hello!

I'm not sure about the black paint solution.  I've often notice that open
access mecanical systems have the tendency to generate and collect dust and
I would certainly worry about the maintenance program and the fragility of
the collection below...  After all, preventive conservation is basically
good housekeeping.

Is the collection presented in closed display cases?  Is the space
designated for permanent or temporary exhibits?  Will someone be able to
periodically clean the mecanical systems?

The architecture of the building and the exhibit design choices would also
influence my position.  Why not use partial drop ceilings or a light
structural frame with occasional panels that could contribute to the
definition of exhibit spaces and give the opportunity to integrate the
lighting or sprinkler systems?  Many other materials -- beside gypsum boards
and acoustic panels -- could be creatively used to make removable drop
panels:  fabrics, acrylic panels (can create nice diffuse lighting or
transparency effects), varnished plywood (for a sleek contemporary look),
etc...  The mecanical systems would just disapear in the shade of the
ceiling, yet it could still be easily accessible!

France Cliche, Sillery, Québec, CANADA
EN PLACE avec France Cliche
Service de consultation en aménagement, muséologie et patrimoine.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).