From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:52:13 -0700
Hello Mark
I'll have to join the rest of my colleagues with the disclaimer that I am
much, much, too young to have attended school in the 40s!  From the sound of
it, none of the people from the 40s survive.  (Actually my much!! older
sisters do but we come from a long-lived line.)
The building that housed the first five grades in the small town on north
Puget Sound (Washington state) was completed in about 1952. It was attached
to a significantly older building (or so it seemed at the time) that held 6,
7, and 8 grades.  Taken as an entity in the stoneage, it was considered an
elementary school.  At the time the newest building was constructed, the 7th
and 8th grades moved over from the high school to the old section of the
elementary school.  (Must have been a come down for the 8th graders and a
disappointment for the 7th graders.) "Locker" rooms were attached to the
individual class rooms, being cloak rooms rather than locker rooms with
shelves and hooks.  And I seem to recall some fights did occur although your
place was assigned by the teacher.  If I remember right 6, 7 and 8 grades
also had cloak rooms.  High school, it seems, had the lockers in the halls.
This was new for the girls because a couple of years before the home ec
class had taken the girls locker room and turned it into a lounge.  A nice
place for us to sit and gossip and pick on one another.  It seems the boys
lockers were always in the hallway.

This was in the 1950s and 1960s with the two older buildings dating to,
probably, the 1920s or 1930s.  These were one and two story brick buildings
with crawl spaces and not basements.  The 1950s building was much lower to
the ground than the other two.