From:
"Jerry M. Withers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:55:32 -0500
First thing I would suggest is to talk with a local/nearby photo archivist
to get information on standards for storage, marking, when to have
archival processing done, etc. Since I don't deal principally with
photographic collections, I try to check in with colleagues that do on an
occasional basis to find out how the standards have changed. I try to
treat photographs as part of the institutional history of the museum, as
well as a good resource for future PR.

I have had the same problem at several historic house museums, always
compounded by trying to identify the pictures taken before I started at
the site. I generally try to store the pictures in archivally safe pocket
pages and key them to the negatives. Then I can either put them in a three
ring binder or hang them in a file drawer.

Lately I've started getting contact prints of my photos and only have
full sized copies made of the pictures that are worth keeping. It also
makes relating it to the negatives easier.

Good luck, this is often a massive undertaking.

Martha George Withers
Sebastopol State Historic Site
P.O. Box 1500
Seguin, Texas  78156
830/379-4833

*Jerry M. or Martha George Withers <[log in to unmask]>*