From:
Michael Kassel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:36:04 -0600
Dear Lynn,

How fortuitous to run across your question on Railroad Pills.  It just so
happens that a fellow researcher that works with me (particularly on
railroad issues) for our museum just happens to be a physician from Batavia,
NY.  He is very familiar with the pharmacies there and, with the list of
ingredients you mentioned in your email, may be able to track down exactly
what the "railroad pills" were used for, and possibly just how nefarious
their effects may have been.

Please send me the information about the railroad pill recipe and the 1847
article you mentioned and he will look into it for you!  My phone number is
(307) 778-1413.  I hope we will be able to help.

Michael Kassel
Exhibits Manager
Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001