From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:16:30 -0700
Development is the area on which I've chosen to focus
for the future, and I've done quite a bit of studying
about it in the last two years.

Concisely, commission is very much frowned upon in the
development field.  Professional fund raising
organizations, such as NSFRE, have as part of its
rules that its members must not be paid commission.
NSFRE, from what I can tell, is pretty much the
industry standard.

Now, there are organizations that do pay commission,
and why is beyond me (paying for performance, I
suppose), but it's the best way I know of to scare
your funders away.  When people give to your
organization, they want to believe that every penny is
going to programs and property.  They don't want to
think that x% is being promised as an incentive to
"the beggers."

I would suggest that any looking into this go to
http://www.charitychannel.com and research what has
been discussed on this topic in (over)abundance.  It
comes up about four times a year, and it always starts
the biggest flame war!

=====
Indigo Nights