From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:57:20 -0800
Hi, Annie --

You can reimburse the author whatever you feel is fair.  If you use a rate per mile, you'll need to check with him to find out how far he drove to get to the museum and back.  It might be easier just to figure out what a tankful of gasoline costs and send him a check for that amount.

The amounts you mention are those allowed as deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A or other forms by a taxpayer for mileage driven on the  employer's behalf or in conjunction with volunteer activities.  Just so we don't confuse anybody reading this -- there's a third mileage figure deduction -- $.20/mile if the mileage is for medical care or moving expenses.

Many organizations use the $.58/mile figure to reimburse employees who
use their personal vehicles for work. Examples include travel to meetings and conferences, to job sites away from the primary work site, to make presentations to outside groups.  It does not matter if the employer is a for-profit, a government agency or non-profit. Most employers find it helpful to use the IRS figure rather than calculate a local one.

You'll need to check with the museum's accountant or attorney to see if you will need to send the author a Form 1099 (in which case you will also need to get his Taxpaper I.D. or Social Security number) for whatever amount you decide to send him.  It's a good idea to document outlays like this so you're prepared for financial audit or tax audit purposes.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI