From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:12:35 -0800
Hi Matt,

I visited your web site, and to be honest, I'm a bit confused.

1.  You ask for a password to submit information.  What's that?

2.  That threat at the bottom is a bit disconcerting..."Otherwise, the ring
ends with the site that has not included the display, and the entire
purpose is defeated.  Therefore, any member site that does not comply with
the above will be removed from the ring for the good of the membership."

It's not clear what you're hoping to accomplish, so the statement makes
little sense and discourages participation.  You need to redesign the
opening page so that the visitor knows immediately what to do, and you need
a separate page for people who are willing to add there site to your list.

I personally am NOT willing to put any banners on any of our pages which
promote your site or any others unless I feel that the information provided
is of high quality.  I suggest you find a way for this to work without
requiring participants to modify their own sites...once your site is fully
developed and getting lots of visitors, then you can justify asking people
to modify their own sites!

3.  I don't really understand your navigation buttons.  Why do I go to a
poorly organized  page when I click on next web site, and why is there
advertising all over the bottom?

4.  Why do I go to altavista when I select the text "If you link to this
page, enter your URL here. "

What you're doing is a good idea, but you need to re-think HOW you're doing it.

Jim

>Hey All,
>
>I am a little confused over the lack of response to The Paleo Ring.
>Unfortunately, just after the time that I first posted my announcement
>about it, The Webring organization had some server problems.  So, if you
>tried it out or tried to submit your URL, it wouldn't work.  Also, some
>might not be able to use the submission form.  You can email me the
>information directly in lieu of using the form.
>
>I'm also worried about confusion as to the nature of the ring.  It is
>merely a way for similar themed Websites to have yet another link.  These
>Webrings are extremely popular for other themes (they get lots of traffic)
>and this Webring is actually ground breaking as the first Science theme in
>existence.  But so far, I only have my page, the Paleo Ring Home Page, the
>web page of my Co-editor of PaleoNews, a nice page devoted to Richard
>Dawkins. There is also one in the queue that has yet to add the HTML code
>for the machinery.
>
>Which leads to another concern.  If you don't like the image that I chose
>(it's a photo of the type specimen of T. rex), then I am open to
>suggestions for other images to be used.  If you don't want to use images,
>then the text links are OK. I just thought the images looked pretty nice.
>
>Anyway, if you have a website or even a page, that largely devoted to and
>promotes paleontology, paleoanthropology, prehistoric archeology, the
>evolution of behavior or evolutionary biology in general, why not join?
>
>*Please, if someone has some insights, I'd appreciate a private email on
>the matter.*
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>
>The Paleo Ring
>http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoRing.html
>
>  ________________________________________________________________
>
>Matt Fraser                               "The Real World is very
>                                            complex and chaotic,
>[log in to unmask]                         so that, in order to survive,
>                                   humans find it necessary to construct
>                                           an illusion of reality."
>
>                                               Author Unknown

Jim Angus
Internet and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org/nhm

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999
eMail:  [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]