From:
Arthur Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 09:43:23 -0600
>>Suzanne Quigley recommends going with a "smaller off the shelf" version.
>> Any specific recommendations on software that works?
>
> AlphaFive by Alpha Software, 617 229-2924 - tho' you might want to wait
>for Version 2 for Windows 95 - Version 1 is so-so.  $50 for basic version.
> I currently use an older version (AlphaFour v4) with 13,000+ plus
>records.  Works pretty well, except for printing reports - it is pretty
>bad at that.
>Another possibility is FileMaker Pro for either MacIntosh or Windows -
>very easy to learn, use, and teach to volunteers.
>I've also had Approach recommended to me as easier than Access and better
>than AlphaFive.  No personal experience.
>Will Garrison
>Historic Deerfield, Inc.

We've used Approach 3.0 extensively.  Although I like to have one of the
compatible formats (such as dBase, Paradox, FoxPro, etc.) as a fallback for
the few things I can't do easily with Approach, such occasions are rare.  In
addition, it is cheap (around $100) and user friendly.

Art Harris
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, USA  79968-0519
Tel. (915) 747-6985, Fax (915) 747-5808, e-mail [log in to unmask]
Visit our Web Site at http://www.utep.edu/~leb/home.html