From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:43:24 -0400
We do a skirmish re-enactment once a year, pioneer settlers defending
against the Shawnees.

It is my impression that the act of "killing" is quite a thrill to the
spectators.  I agree entirely with those who realize this is no time to
glorify acts of violence.  There is absolutely nothing wrong, in my view,
with focusing on living conditions during wartime.  It is educational and
very human.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net

Hi all,

One of my recent hobbies is with Ship's Company, a c.1800/war of 1812 and
Civil War Naval reenactment group. We're doing an event in a couple of
weeks and have been told that the battle part has been canceled. Instead
they are going to focus on life in camp and the lives of the sailors and
women involved. I've also noticed that a Civil War reenactment in my area
has canceled the battle portion of their event.

Is anyone else doing this? I'm hoping this isn't going to become a trend as
we'd be ignoring a big part of our history. And I certainly hope no one
thinks that watching historic reenactments leads to violence.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Deb