From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:35:02 -0500
I agree.  The internships I have supervised were for three months at
20-40 hours per week, and the interns get a much better experience not
just with the work that needs to be done, but with the atmosphere of the
place, absorbing how people interact to keep the mission going, etc.
For most interns this is the first non-burger-flipping job they have had
and I believe that immersing them in the environment so they can learn
proper cooperative behavior is half the point of an internship. They
attend all meetings that I attend (unless the topic is particularly
sensitive or confidential), do all the visits I do, etc. and do a lot of
the follow-up from those activities. The other half is, of course, the
tasks they perform.  I tried to structure the internships I offered to
make it a true learning experience for them on a number of levels.  By
the time they leave they feel they are a valued member of the team, not
just spare hands.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN