Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:48:35 GMT
Dear Colleagues, I'm Mary Worthington.  I just finished developing an
interactive history exhibition for the Japanese American National Museum's
new 85,000 square foot pavilion in Los Angeles, which opened in January.
Called "Common Ground: The Heart of Community," the show is getting great
reviews and comments from the visitors.  I also developed a traveling
exhibition on Linus Pauling, the chemist and peace activist, which will open
at Caltech in Pasadena on May 16.

Now I'm looking for some new challenges.  Can you give me a hand?  This is
copy I've written for a new brochure, (to be ready by AAM in April, so
there's not a lot of time) and I'm wondering if it tells you enough, or too
much or what.  I'm also trying to remember Judy Rand's primary rule for label
writing:  Short=good.  I'd appreciate your comments, or copy editing, or
whatever.  Thanks!

First fold:
(image) Headshot
How do objects tell stories?
Hands on or hands off?
What about learning styles?
When is too much not enough?

Inside copy: (images:  exhibit photos from "Common Ground,"  and "Linus
Pauling and the Twentieth Century.")

What's an exhibition developer?
In some museums developers are like playwrights who direct their own plays.

Developers write the script and the labels in collaboration with the content
experts.  They hold the exhibit's goals in their heads, try to help curators
and designers find effective ways to express their passions, and make sure
that everybody on the team stays focused on the audience.  That's the kind I
am.

I can also help you make a master plan for updating your galleries and
exhibition schedules.  Or explain why a bulletin board may be a better choice
than a computer.

Do I need a developer? Maybe, maybe not.  In museums where the staff is one
person, and she's also the exhibit developer, probably not.  You still might
want to talk to me about your exhibition goals and concepts, and the
strategies you're planning to use to deliver your messages.

Can I afford you? Probably.  Depends on what you need.  I can talk to you on
the phone, work with you on the internet, or come to your place and join the
team. Tell me what you need and what your budget is and we'll figure it out.
The first call is free.

Who's the & Co? Sometimes it's just me and my partner, Pamela Gruber.
Sometimes it's me and your exhibition team.  Sometimes it's me and a few of
my friends. I was the Associate Director of the Los Angeles Children's Museum
and the Director of Public Programs at the Japanese American National Museum.
 I know a lot of museum people, some of whom I consider to be the best in the
business.

I can probably help you find an architect, designer, label writer, editor or
evaluator.  Because the people I find work for you, not for me, I don't have
to charge you an arm and a leg.

Worthington & Co
2201 Dewey Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405