From:
Heleanor Feltham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:17:00 PST
Miguel

I couldn't agree with you more.  I was a dispossessed, deserted wife with a
very small kid a long time ago and completing degrees and breaking into the
museum world was not easy in the face of assumptions about what my role,
expectations and social non-standing ought to be.  If museums are the
keeping places for our cultural icons, we need to be as inclusive of  people
as we are of objects, to encourage staff and volunteers who really represent
our total community, even if it sometimes seems difficult.  I think our
organisation here (the Powerhouse Museum and its branches) really tries to
do this, its certainly our policy, though no-one thinks its an easy option.

Heleanor.

Heleanor Feltham