From:
Dean Krimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:44:46 -0400
Christa,
The trouble with putting back your photo repro money into collections care
is that sooner or later you (along with the director, board members, finance
committee members) begin depending upon that photo repro revenue to fund
collections care. The two become hopelessly intertwined, creating the
impression that collections should pay for themselves. If only we're clever
and enterprising! Nothing wrong with being entrepreneurial, but I'd argue
that collections care costs should be thought of in terms of an
institution's operating budget, as well as its long range development plan.

To even talk about 'investing' money from one revenue source--and aren't we
talking about gross profits while not accounting for overhead?--into another
museum program is to walk down that slippery slope leading to resentment and
misunderstanding over how an institution allocates its resources. And why it
exists.

At least that was my experience when I ran a photo service and curated a
large prints & photographs collection.

Dean

Dean Krimmel, Museum Consultant
Planning Exhibits, Programs & Interpretation for Museums, Historic Sites,
Visitor Centers and Cultural Organizations
423 Range Road  Baltimore, Maryland 21204
[log in to unmask]; 410-746-8350

Affiliated with Qm2: Quality Management to a Higher Power (www.qm2.org)
Visit www.ziggs.com (keyword qm2) to learn more about what we do