From:
Cass Karl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:49:42 -0500
I agree with Christian.  One of the greatest benefits to being a small
historical society is your flexibility- why would you want your labels
to last for decades?  I have worked at many small history venues
(museums, living history centers, and historic homes) and all of them
updated labels every couple of years, as exhibits were revised or new
information was acquired.
At the very least, I would recommend making an inexpensive paper/
foamboard version and trying the labels out for a year or so.  Often
visitors find typos or inaccuracies or point out clarifications that
need to be made.  These suggestions should be solicited and
incorporated before you spend money on something more "permanent".
The last thing you want is an expensive label that people don't
understand...
Just my opinion.
-Casandra