From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:41:29 -0700
We're a small archaeology museum with a nice small reference library.  The books in the library have never been cataloged fully and never put in the museum's database.  The curator and I are discussing using a library catalog number as well as an object id number to specify the topic and help us organize them on the shelves.  Her last museum used Library of Congress and mine used Dewey Decimal in order to be part of the town's library consortium.

Library of Congress is very complicated and most of the books at my last museum seem to begin with the same Dewey Decimal number.  I'm wondering if other small museums use one of these systems or just give the books a object id number; or do something entirely different. Any recommendations?

Jerrie Clarke
Director
Lost City Museum
PO Box 2507