From:
Mike Csontos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:59:40 EDT
In a message dated 09/15/2001 8:30:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  5. Lastly, and most importantly, to the original poster and to those who
> follow, I must ask how
>  this relates to museums.  I know that this list has from time to time
> changed topics, but I think
>  at this time, there is no need for this type of discussion.  Let us turn
our
> attention to our work
>  and our museums.  Let us give help to those who need it on our personal
time.
>   This list isn't for
>  that type of discussion.

The broadcast from 1973 regarding the history of U. S. Vs the rest of the
world should have something to do with museums.  To me, museums are more than
just another form of public entertainment.  They preserve human culture.

The ABC Television network just ran a special multi-hour program on the
history of the twentieth century with emphasis on the U. S. role in the
several world class wars. The content is available only because people like
us believe in preserving the past.

 The communications museum I am associated with preserves recordings and
transcriptions that illustrate nationalistic emotions and ideals. Many would
bring forth strong reactions if broadcast right now.  I think it is good that
these exist and that they should be examined by reasoning and responsible
people.

A couple of hours ago I was listening to a short-wave broadcast from Radio
Rumania.  There were some editorial comments on the WTC event that would be
quite disturbing if widely heard here in the United States. However policy
makers should hear and understand if they are to react to them constructively.

As custodians of culture we need to also encourage the exchange of ideas and
points of view, and the artifacts we preserve are very important tools for
this purpose.

Mike Csontos