From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:00:42 -0400
Kristin,

I'm staying out of the general discussion, but you bring up one point that
if I understand you correctly, should be addressed immediately.  If the
Military Museum is giving appraisals for donated items, that is not
unethical, it is ILLEGAL.  IRS regulations specifically prohibit the
recipient from providing the donor with any indication of value.  The item
must be appraised by an independent third party, which must be paid for by
the donor.  The recipient only provides evidence of receipt of the item.
More info on this is on the IRS web site, including a downloadable document.
If the Military Museum is operating under your 501(c)(3) non-profit
designation, you have full authority to order them to cease this practice.

The proof of donation must come from your organization to be valid, since
the Military Museum does not have tax-exempt status.  Thus, technically, you
own the donation and can make decisions about it, including refusing items.
If the Military Museum wants to operate under its own rules, then it should
apply for its own 501(c)(3) status.  Even if they do, they will have to
cease giving appraisals.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)