From:
jennifer carlquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:51:40 -0500
Dear Hervi Gagnon,

	As a student in her last month of art history undergraduate
status, I have just begun to examine seriously the employment prospects
of our chosen field.  They are, as you have pointed out, meager in
availability and compensation.  I myself net about $6.50/hr as the only
staff member working in collections management in a university museum.  I
gain invaluable experience, and the museum gets good work at very
little expense.
	At work I have absolutely no budget.  My exhibit catalogs are
black and white, designed on my school computer and xeroxed. The office
once had to function for a week without letterhead stationary, having no
money to pay the printers.  Everyone I work with has been laid off at
least partially sometime in the last three years.  I accept that museum
budgets are tight.  But the misconception that we are non-profit
professionals is unacceptable. We're not - we're professionals who work
for non-profits.
	Unfortunately, it's uv filtration for the windows or a livable
wage for me. It hardly makes for a black bank account, but I think we're
supposed to pick the windows.

Jennifer Carlquist [log in to unmask]
Glensheen Estate, Property of the University of Minnesota-Duluth