From:
Dennis Kois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:32:48 -0500
Just thought I'd let all my museum-L cohorts know-- my institution, The
Metropolitan Museum of Art, just launched an all-new website, two years in
the making.

www.metmuseum.org

Of course I'm not exactly impartial, as I was involved in the planning and
helped oversee the design from the beginning, but I feel it is among the
best museum websites currently available. Particularly strong, I think, are
the collections, with more than 3,000 works already available and many more
to come. Be sure and check out the European Paintings section, where the
entire MMA collection is available, including descriptions, full
provenance, signatures/marks/inscriptions, and more. The "highlights"
section of European Paintings is also using FlashPix technology, which lets
visitors zoom in on artworks in extremely high detail. Soon the rest of the
1000+ highlights from all departments will be using this technology as
well. No plug-ins needed, btw.

Well, that's my plug. I'm happy to hear comments and critiques alike on all
areas of the site. Spend some time and let me know what you think.

Dennis Kois
Design Department
The Metropolitan Museum of Art