From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:55:46 -0700
--- "Henry B. Crawford" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We're supposed to be as historically honest as possible.  Passing off
> saltines as hardtack is like showing off a Jeep and telling the public it's
> a Model T.  It's wrong.

The big, puffy saltines look exactly like cooked hard tack. They're big, square
and have holes punched in them and come in unsalted varieties.

> There are ways to make historically authentic hardtack (also called sea
> biscuits, navy bread, pilot bread) which are completely and safely edible
> AND give the look, feel, and texture of the originals.

The flip side, is that food regulations on some museums might not let them use
homemade hard tack and thus would have to buy it. If you need a big supply of
it, buying it can get expensive. Bent's minimum is $20 which gets you 10
crackers. The grocery store variety is like $2/box of 20. These are the big,
puffy saltines, not the average saltine.

Deb