From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:35:41 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, on Wed,
25 Oct 2000 at 20:10:28, ARIEL CZESLER <URL: mailto:[log in to unmask]>
writes
>The translation for "Curator" is Curador, if you are making reference to
>someone who makes the choices on what goes in an exhibit. As for a
>"Conservationist" (as in someone who restores or fixes objects) the
>translation would be "restaurador". I hope this is useful for you.

In the UK I have noticed that a distinction is made between
"conservation", which is concerned with preserving as much of the
original object as possible and preventing further deterioration, using
reversible treatment, and "restoration", which may involve the
replacement of parts, repainting and so on, in order to make the object,
as far as possible, "good as new".

Is this a distinction that is made in Spanish (and indeed in other
English-speaking countries)? "Restaurador" sounds as though it would be
translated as "restorer" rather than "conservator".

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092