From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:08:03 -0400
All phenolic resin signs seem to have color matching problems but they are
otherwise a good, stable choice for outdoor signs. They are pretty scratch
resistant and are fade resistant for a long time. One trick is to pester
the vendor to run all of your signs in the same print run. Three companies
in North America make their own phenolic resin signs, Folia as you know,
Fossil in New York, and IZone in Texas. IZone says they've recently split
from WilsonArt and have reduced their turn around time from weeks to days.
As with all prices, factor in the longevity of phenolic resin signs versus
replacing other sign types more frequently and the relative price goes
down.

Anyway, you asked about aluminum core signs. A lot depends on what the
surface treatment is and what you're needs are. If these are some sort of
paper based print sandwiched between aluminum and acrylic, you might not
get the fade resistance or scratch resistance you need. Don't be afraid to
ask for samples and references and go see the signs installed somewhere.

I'd be happy to give you an opinion (of course) if you'll give me more
details on the material they're proposing.

Diane Gutenkauf