From:
"Jack C. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:12:30 -0800
You're right to be concerned; the thick ink likely will crack over time,
and probably not very much time at that, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya
gotta do.

To minimize the damage find or make a large tube (something over one foot
in diameter should be alright) and cover it with acid free paper; two or
three layers worth.  Roll the print up, face out, and cover it with another
layer or two of acid free paper.  I would avoid buffered paper for two
reasons.

One: one or more inks may be pH sensitive and the buffering may change
color over time.

Two: buffered papers are more abrasive than un-buffered paper and may
lightly sand the image over time (I have observed this in boxes of
serigraphs interleaved with acid free/buffered paper).

This way, when the cracks occur, they will be open cracks and they will
close up then the print is unrolled for examination/exhibit.  If it is
rolled with the image inside, the cracks can still come, but they will be
stress zones which release the stresses through delamination or
crushing/powdering of the ink.

The same thing is true of oil paintings which must be rolled up.

Jack

>Date:    Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:02:31 -0600
>From:    Allison Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: oversize print storage
>Dear Museum-Ler's
>
>We've recently acquired a large serigraph print, which is too large for our
>flat file storage.  I am concerned about storing it rolled in an archival
>tube, since the ink is so thick, I'm afraid it may crack over time. Is this
>a true concern, or am I being overly cautious?

(snip)

Jack C. Thompson

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick                               I hear and I forget,
Portland, Oregon  97217                       I see and I remember,
                                              I do and I understand.
http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/