From:
Michele Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:22:14 -0800
 Dear Site Subscribers,
     I was made aware of this site through the
kindness
 of Jean Burks, curator at the Shelburne Museum,
 Shelburne, VT.
     It is my hope to obtain information on Fire
 starters, (Fire Pots). These items are usually made
 of brass or cast iron and are shaped like small
 caldrons or tankards. They have metal rods with a
 soapstone piece on one end and a finial on the other.
 Kerosene or maybe some other kind of oil, was stored
 in the containers and the soapstone soaked in it. In
 order to start a fire, the wand was removed, the
 soapstone ignited and applied to the kindling.
     I have collected several of these pots and have
 become very interested in their origin and history.
     Any help or information you could furnish would
 be greatly appreciated.
     Would you please send information off list to
     Respectfully,
         Michele Ward
         Rt. 116 POBox 146
         Jefferson, NH 03583-0146