From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:55:17 -0800
"Dignified" -- maybe a poor choice of words because it deflected the
discussion toward cultural influences a museum/gallery/any space exerts on
our perception of meaning in a work of art.  (or any object, as M. Duchamp,
his offspring, and an '80s avalanche of French philosophy declared).

The original question was about what kind of wall to build for temporary
displays and it sounded as if the writer might be headed toward something
designed to expedite the process of changing exhibitions, i.e.,
self-healing walls.  My experience is that wall systems which are designed
to circumvent labor are usually so heavily burdened with hardware,
textures, little corner gadgets, clever hinges and dangling things, that
the art displayed on them becomes trivialized -- unwillingly
contextualized, if you will, like commodities in a hastily assembled flea
market.  In the Williamson Gallery we have punched holes in, drawn on,
painted, textured, eliminated, built, pierced, and tilted walls for
installations in which the artist wanted to engage and comment upon the
gallery space as a content-laden cultural object.  It is actually hard work
to alter the gallery and deconstruct its status as icon.  But in the
absence of such artistic intention, I agree with Julia that the best
context to provide is one that is as neutral, flat, and unassuming as
possible.  This is clearly the context from which the original post sought
advice.

Stephen Nowlin,
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design