From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:37:40 -0500
Lori:

For science you could talk about home butter and cheese making, mixing modern chemical/biological knowledge with a talk about the social/economic aspects of the home based rural economy at the time of settlement (role of women, barter and hard currency, local versus regional economies -- assuming your cabin is related to agricultural settlement).  But I'm from Wisconsin so I would think of this topic...

And for the mathmatics of the log cabin era consider something having to do with surveying (measuring, geometry and trigonometry -- assuming your cabin is post 1785).

We too are trying to work out ways to be cross-curricular with our exhibits and programs because the State of Illinois emphasizes math and reading over the social sciences, as do most states in this "No Child" era.  How else can history museums continue to capture the field trip market?

Let me know what you come up with.

Dan

Dan Bartlett
Curator of Exhibits