From:
Susannah West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:29:41 -0500
My experience with staff uniforms:  When I was hired, I was told that I
couldn't wear blue jeans, but other than that there was no dress code.  I
usually wore khakis and a t-shirt with a picture of the museum on it.
However, this past year, our Board of Directors decided that we should wear
polo shirts with a picture of the museum and its name embroidered on them.
We weren't asked what color we would prefer, though we were asked what size
we wanted.  (They ordered white, not my best color, as despite my best
efforts, I seem to be a dirt and stain magnet.)  My fellow tour guide
objected from the start as she says that she doesn't look good in polo
shirts.  The Board ordered the shirts from a nationally-known "camping and
hiking" mail-order company and there were problems with the artwork, so it
took several months for us to get our shirts.  The shirts "ran small" so I
was lucky that I'd requested a size larger than I usually wear.  My
colleague wore her shirt only occasionally and not at all after the weather
turned colder.  The Board considered ordering cardigans with the logo
embroidered on them for colder weather, but I don't think they went any
further than considering it.  I objected to this because I don't really like
to wear cardigans.  Also, the sweaters were cotton, which wouldn't really
have kept us all that warm.

I don't really mind wearing my shirt (though I would prefer that it were
another color) as it identifies me, but I do wish that we had been consulted
beforehand!

Susannah West
John Rankin House
Ripley, Ohio